Week 17-20 summary (13-10 Febrary)

This is a third and last of the Stage 2 blog posts. Stage 3 posts are going to be weekly summaries again.

As for this one I decided to post it immediately with all life stuff bundled in, I’ll write about all of them first and then move over to an actual university work.

First of all, a nice photo from this period to have it on top of the blog post. This time it’s a nice light of the oven (I finally learned to cook something more advanced than spaghetti!).

img_20170127_194407

Life events

Ookay, so, here’s all fun and not really, but still worth mentioning things that happened to me over this four weeks:

I finally got a tube of thermal paste from the Amazon and managed to disassemble and clean my laptop. That’s how 4 years of dust looks like!
It was extremely scary – doing this to my main instrument for work and studying, but it turned out to be very healthy for a laptop – temperature dropped from 100C+ under a heavy load to 65-75C.

On a cycling front – I broke my wheel on Friday 3rd February and had to walk for an hour and a half under a rain. I then ordered a new one, but it turned out that it has a smaller connector hole than the connector on my inner tube, so I had to bring it to the uni and drill it a bit to make it work.

Now, that’s just a couple of nice photos from the road to the uni. I really should bring my camera with me once for a change.

Recycle/Upcycle project

Research:

After some research, I decided to make a laser cutted book. Laser cutting was an interesting technology that I always wanted to use and I was also planning to make this wooden album for quite a long time now. I wanted to make it a present for the upcoming Valentines Day so I chose to make owls on a cover as it was something that we use with my girlfriend to call each over.

IMG_20170207_174420

I started from making a test hinges to see what patterns will work the best with the wood this thick. I found a template on the internet with many different types of living hinges. However, it quite quickly turned out that you need to measure how thick the material is to make a pattern work.

In order to do an Illustrator template for a the book, I used a card that I made for this Christmas.

JWP0Zv4Tv2M

This is an Illustrator file I ended up with – with all the multiple cutting and engraving layers.

Creation process during which I managed to get myself locked in the university. Bottom layer was painted with wood stain that I bought after a long consultation with Dilan when we chose the best color for it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s